19-year-old Parag Doodhya loses 15 kg after fighting kidney disease

Weight gain is one of the biggest side effects of corticosteroids–medicines that are commonly prescribed to treat many severe diseases. Parag Doodhya’s story is of a young college going boy who started putting on a lot of weight after being diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome, a type of kidney disease. He is about to turn 19 next month and is currently busy pursuing his engineering degree. From 58 kg to 80 kg and then back to 65 kg, Parag’s story is more than just an inspiration to many.

Here’s his story in his words–

In April 2012, I was diagnosed with a kidney disease called nephrotic syndrome, in which the body loses protein through the urine. It usually leads to low protein level in the blood, high cholesterol level and swelling. Its treatment involves corticosteroids and my doctors immediately put me on these heavy drugs along with other medicines. The treatment went on for a long time. As I recovered from the disease, the medications started showing their side effects. I started gaining a lot of weight and also had pimples all over my body.
Parag Doodhya--real life weight loss story
My health got better by January 2015 and by then had completely stopped all medications. By then, I had put on a lot of weight and weighed around 76-77 kg. Meanwhile, I would make up lame excuses for not exercising, and I put zero efforts in trying to get fit. My weight kept on increasing and in June 2015, I weighed 80kg. That is when I realised that I had to shed those extra kilos. This is how looked when I weighed 80kg at that time.
Parag Doodhya--real life weight loss story

The beginning of my weight loss journey

In July 2015, I began my fitness journey with walking and jogging. I couldn’t even run for 400m but then I improved with within 15 days I could cover that distance easily and I was doing a lot better than when I started. However, with all my unrealistic goals and wanting to achieve them in a short time, I injured myself and suffered from a muscle stress fracture on my left leg. I was advised to rest for three weeks. The injury was a big disappointment and I had lost all my hopes of losing weight. It took a month for the injury to heal completely and after that, I decided to stick to my goals come what may without looking back. I began again on 21st August 2015 and this is how I looked.
Parag Doodhya--real life weight loss stories

My weight-loss regimen

Since I was determined, I followed a strict diet, and could see the results in the first month itself. I started brisk walking and would walk for around 3 km every day. Slowly and steadily I increased the distance and would also jog for a small distance in between. I kept on increasing the distance by 20-30% every 15 days. I also wanted to run marathons, and that’s why is started working out regularly. I stick to a basic weight training programme which includes doing pull ups, push ups, planks, squats and crunches. I try to work out for at least four days in a week.

Diet: As far as eating healthy goes, I have completely stopped eating junk food.  I have given up drinking soft drinks too and have also reduced the frequency of eating out to once in a month. But whenever  I eat out, I make sure I eat in moderation.  I don’t eat cheat meals either.  I eat fresh fruits and salads, at least, two-three times a day, drink green tea twice a day and have also increased my water intake. I restricted my salt and sugar intake too. I make sure that I am active and also given up sitting for long hours.

Some minor setbacks

No fitness journey is a cake walk. I too suffered from minor setbacks like a few injuries but that did not deter me from achieving my goal. There were times when I felt like I had lost all the enthusiasm and my whole body hurt, but I kept pushing harder and harder. I continued cardio workout and followed a very strict diet because of which I have reduced 15kg in the last seven months and still have a long way to go.

After losing weight–

Parag doodhya--real life weight loss stories

I feel a lot lighter and comfortable and confident with my weight. It feels fantastic when friends and family compliment you for your achievement.  My next plan is to run the half marathon, and I have started preparing for it. Currently, I can run 10-12 km without any problem. I have also started a fitness group to inspire people to stay healthy and fit.
19-year-old Parag Doodhya loses 15 kg after fighting kidney disease 19-year-old Parag Doodhya loses 15 kg after fighting kidney disease Reviewed by Unknown on 16:16:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.