India's first woman biker Veenu Paliwal passes away in a road accident

Veenu Paliwal, a biker who loved the road and her Harley

Veenu Paliwal, one of the leading woman bikers in the country, was doing what she loved when she was killed in a road accident in Madhya Pradesh’s Vidisha district on Monday evening. (Himanshu Vyas/HT File Photo)

Veenu Paliwal loved the road and her Harley Davidson.

Paliwal, one of the leading woman bikers in the country, was doing what she loved when she was killed in a road accident in Madhya Pradesh’s Vidisha district on Monday evening.

The 44-year-old was on a nationwide tour on her motorcycle along with fellow biker Deepesh Tanwar when her motorcycle skidded off the road.

Known for driving a Harley Davidson at 180kmph, Paliwal and her motorcycle were a familiar sight in the narrow bylanes of her native Jaipur.

“I think I am the only woman Harley rider here, so people recognise me,” the 44-year-old restaurateur had said in an interview with Hindustan Times.

The recognition is always followed by surprise. “I’m constantly asked ‘Aren’t you scared? How do you manage the weight? What does it cost?’” the mother of two had said.

Paliwal first learned to ride in college from friends and found it thrilling. She could not continue riding because she did not own a bike and later married a man who would not let her ride.

Last year was her second coming.

“My divorce came through and I settled back into my life. I wanted to do something for myself. So I bought a Harley and, with my children away at college, every weekend is now spent riding to Delhi or to places around Jaipur,” she said.

Paliwal had clocked 17,000km since November and aimed to hit 50,000km in a year, before upgrading to a Road King.

“Biking has also taught me about road safety,” she said.

“In a car, there’s a sense of security and you tend to take more risks as a result. On the bike, you have no buffer, so all your senses are alert. Biking makes you look at things, even road safety, from a different perspective.”

Paliwal was planning to make a documentary on her motorbike journey across the country.
India's first woman biker Veenu Paliwal passes away in a road accident India's first woman biker Veenu Paliwal passes away in a road accident Reviewed by Unknown on 13:03:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.